Saturday, October 3, 2009

Hat Attack!

Finished object!

Pattern: Quincy by Jared Flood
Yarn: Jade Sapphire Mongolian Cashmere 8 ply
Needles: Knitpicks options size 10.5

The weather turned cold here and I was struck by the urge to whip up a hat. It took me two evenings in front of the teevee to knit it up.

Quincy hat

You know, I was really skeptical initially about using a size 10.5. But I think what happened is that I work so frequently with such lightweight yarn and wee needles that bulky yarn seemed small and the 10.5s seemed enormous. But it worked out, just about perfect. Even though I didn't swatch. Because it's a hat. Fate was on my side... this time.

Quincy hat

The pattern is excellent. The construction is clever. You knit a strip in garter with built in i-cord edges, graft it together as a mobiusm then pick up stitches from the i-cord edging and decrease. It took me a while to wrap my brain around the construction, particularly picking up the stitches, but eventually I got it. It's nifty.

Quincy hat

The yarn is... well, the yarn is fabulous. I was practically giggling while knitting with it because it is soft and scrumptious and amazing. I got it for a steal on clearance. And I have more! A thought which makes me nearly giddy.

Quincy hat

The only problem is that my ability to graft could really use some improvement. It really shows up at this gauge.

Quincy hat

1 comment:

Orange Pippin said...

That's a great looking hat! And thanks so much for posting pictures from a variety of angles. I was having trouble with the stitch pick-up, and your pictures got me through the rough bit.