Sunday, January 4, 2009

Socks!

It's snowing outside, coming down relatively heavy for this area of the country. Also, it's 11:15 pm and I should be in bed since I have to go to work in the morning. But I don't feel tired at the moment and my secret resolution was to knit blog more. So. Socks!

I've cast on a pair of Clover socks in Regia Silk. I love these socks. I love them. I love the pattern and I freaking love this yarn. This will be my third pair of socks in Regia Silk, but the first pair for me. If I could only knit with only one yarn for the rest of forever, I think I would choose Regia Silk. That's how much I love it.
Clover socks

I'm trying a new technique here, too! Two socks, top down, at the same time, magic loop. I've never knit socks two at a time before. And I very rarely knit socks from the top down. The cast on was fiddly and annoying, but I switched up to a 40" needle, and that eased my troubles considerably. I am now quite fond of this two at once business - I very much like the idea of not having to cast on a second time to finish the pair. I had a lot of trepidation about the cast on. It seems that there are many more instructional resources for knitting toe up than top down two at a time. But I found these instructions for a pair of top down socks and followed that. It was fiddly, but I survived. Maybe I'll try it from the toe up next time.

2 comments:

Veronica said...

Hooray, new socks for Sockdown!

And now you're giving me covetous thoughts about this Regia Silk... but not about Magic Loop. I just can't justify buying new needles for a technique like that. Not that I need new sock yarn, but... yum! The stuff looks luscious every time I see it.

Kate said...

I like the pattern a lot! I've never tried magic loop--I'm a traditionalist with my dpns.

We don't have snow yet down here. Everything is melting right now. The snow is supposed to start later though.