Monday, March 30, 2009

FO: Lace Cuffed Socks

I've had a long weekend. I was last at work on Wednesday. I go back tomorrow. I've had the lovely opportunity to do a lot of knitting. (and spinning, but I'll get to that another day.) I finished my Lace Cuffed Socks from A Gathering of Lace.
Ankle lace cuff socks
These socks are usually not my style, but the theme for this month's Sockdown! was lace socks and I wasn't feeling the full on lace socks (which are mostly what I knit in reality), so I found these. The cuff is turned down, and it reminds me of the frilly socks I had when I was a little girl.
Ankle lace socks
The body of the sock is knit in Wildfoote sock yarn, with the cuff in some leftover Regia yarn. I didn't read the pattern thoroughly, so I discovered after the fact the the top two inches of the cuff in the main color are supposed to be ribbed. It makes a lot of sense - the ribbing would help it stay up. But I'm just going to cross my fingers and hope for the best without the ribbing.

It was an interesting knit. The foot was plain and simple, but the lace on the cuff was a little tedious. There were a lot of triple decreases, but the decrease instruction was slip 2 together as if to knit, slip 1 as if to knit, knit all three together through back loop. It was a bit more annoying that the usual slip 1, k2tog, psso, but did create a different effect. These socks could probably stand a good blocking, but they're not going to get one. They'll just be tossed in the laundry with all the other poor handknit socks, poor things.

2 comments:

Veronica said...

Yay new socks! I have been knitting up a storm but can't show any of it. Sockdown has been nothing but a faint memory since... January! Hope you have good luck in the drawing :)

Lynn Bethke said...

I almost didn't do a pair of socks for March, but I had to cast on for a stockinette sock to go see a movie (cause I've got to knit during action films donchya know), so I went for it. A pair of socks a month is a good goal for me... and my stash.