Sunday, January 17, 2010

FO: Mini Mochi Socks

I'm a sucker for rainbows. I love how happy and colorful they are. When I first saw Kauni's EQ colorway, I had to have it. So I did. And knit a shawl with it. When I saw Regia Nation Color 5399, I had to have it. So I did. And made talls socks (with a peasant heel).

Then I saw Crystal Palace Mini Mochi and it was rainbow love. So pretty, I thought. I must have more rainbow socks.

And so I did. I knit a pair of plain stockinette, toe up socks, with a short row heel. And I was loving it. The yarn is so soft, if a bit too easy to split. Then, about halfway up the leg... a knot. And the color jumped from red to blue. On the other sock, the rainbow gently reversed itself. And as I finished the cuff, another knot! Jumping the yarn from blue to red, like some kind of cruel joke. For a yarn which sells itself on its color transitions, I was not (knot?) pleased.
mini mochi socks

But, whatever, these socks are for me. They'll be okay. I just don't plan to buy mini mochi again, as pretty as it may be.
mini mochi socks

I did learn a new technique with these socks. I tried out Jenny's Surprisingly Stretchy Bind Off. It's great! Very very stretchy! It's absolutely my new go to bind off.
mini mochi socks

I've picked my Laminaria back up and am making some strides through the blossom chart, but it's taking me a long time to get through each row! I guess it's been a long time since I've knit a proper laceweight shawl.

No comments: