Saturday, November 21, 2009

November 21st: In the Kitchen

I have not knit a stitch all day. I got a call at 8:40 (I was asleep at the time, mind you) asking if I could move my hair appointment for the morning up a half hour. Okay, I can do that. So I get moving and grooving, Pants gets moving and grooving. We leave the house, go to the bank, then to the hair appointments.

We went to the local cosmetology school for haircuts, since they only charge $6 a cut. I got a trim and bangs! No photos yet, but trust me, they're cute. Pants just wanted a hair cut, but the student was a little unsure about the whole thing and his appointment took an hour. Yikes.

Grab lunch, check out St. Vinnie's, then go grocery shopping. Because I have plans. Dinner plans. And they involve Julia Child. I get the necessary ingredients and we head home.

I head into the kitchen where I bake some snickerdoodles out of my old Betty Crocker book. Pants tells me he doesn't like snickerdoodles, but he'll eat them. But when I give him one, he's confused. For some reason, he was under the impression that snickerdoodles are rice crispy treats with peanut butter on top. Odd.
snickerdoodles

For dinner, I decided to make potage parmentier or leek and potato soup, from Mastering the Art of French Cooking. The grocery store only had onions, but Julia says regular onions are okay, too. And darn if that isn't a delicious soup. A bit thin to our sense of soup, but deliciously tasty.
Potage Parmentier

I wanted to cook something out of Mastering the Art of French Cooking because, in the last month, I read both Julia Child's My Life in France and Julie Powell's Jule and Julia. My Life in France is fantastic - Julia shines through every page and it's fascinating. I read it in 48 hours on a business trip. I felt rounding it out by, you know, actually cooking something would be appropriate. And so it was.

No comments: